Friday, March 1, 2013

Donna Day 2013



This morning my Facebook feed was full of chatter about something called ‘Donna Day’. Curious, I clicked on a fellow page and was linked within her story to a woman who goes by Mary Tyler Mom. I sat and read each blog post and braced myself for what I knew the last post would be. My heart ached. For this precious little angel, for the family living through it and most of all a fellow Mother. We are supposed to fix things. Broken toy? Mom will put new batteries in. Lost mitten? Mom knows right where it is. Belly ache? Mom always knows how to make it feel better. But this. I cannot, even for a second, wrap my head around trying to ‘fix’….cancer. With the exception of my Grandfather I have never known the struggles of a terminal illness. Moms, well we always have to put on the brave smile when there is an ouchie to attend to, the first day of school jitters or all the other moments that your children hurt. We are supposed to be brave, strong, unbreakable….right? What happens when your precious daughter looks at you, after battling cancer, and says "Why am I worried I'm dying?". So, today my heart goes out to the entire Mary Tyler Mom Family and most importantly a fellow Mom. I suppose the saying does go, You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have. Hug your children a little tighter tonight. If they spill their drink at dinner, don’t fret. If they don’t eat all their dinner, don’t stress. Just love. For some Mothers do not have that option with one of their children tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment