Monday, July 29, 2013

Donut Week!



I felt like a dead man walking this morning. You see, it is the last week that Boy 1 is in preschool before he starts Kindergarten and Hubs will start taking him due to a later drop off time. So that means my little co-founder of Donut Fridays won’t be there to accompany me anymore, it’ll be just me and Baby Boy. So I decided to make this final week… DONUT WEEK. The problem with that is Boy 1 didn’t want to get dressed, he didn’t want to brush his teeth and moved slower than a snail’s pace. All things that are no-nos for the reward. I thought long and hard as we made the drive to school. I looked at him with his head hung from disappointment in the rear view mirror as he barely glanced at the gas station as we passed. I couldn’t do it, ladies. I know most people would say ‘Stick to your guns!’….’Be consistent!’ but as tears flowed down my face thinking that all this would be over entirely too soon I knew I had to put my parental mind to rest and go with my heart. My heart said Dunkin Donuts….a treat he never gets. And just like that we were in route to school, with chocolate frosting all over his face and a twinkle in his eye….everything was right in the world again. He won’t grow up to be a serial killer because I didn’t following my discipline through this time….so I am okay with that. I didn’t really think the last week would be this hard. I have cried less when family members passed away. I decided that it can’t be over after this week, it won’t be over. The last Friday of every month I will take a shorter lunch to arrive a half hour late to work so we can still have a little Donut Friday time. It makes it a bit easier knowing it won’t be over completely. This whole change thing is tougher than I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment