Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The 'F' word....Fat



Today started rough. We staff a major temporary event every year and one of my perks of the job is I receive a very pricy promotional shirt from the event, compliments of Boss. The problem is through the years; through the pregnancies…my body has changed. So as a coworker (who is male) and I take part in ‘Vintage Week’ he looks the same but my appearance varies greatly each day. Two pregnancies ago me, postpartum me and what is left of me now do not provide a great background for the array of shirts. So, as I put one on this morning, Boy 1 stated that ‘I looked like a boy’. Fair enough. It’s a polo shirt so I can see his angle. In the GW pile it went. Shirt two goes on and as I debate its future….Boy 1 declared “You look fat. You are fat Mommy.”…and giggled. I know I am no supermodel but fat? I tried to figure out where he got the idea to call me fat while I desperately tried to look presentable for work. Then it hit me, all the times I irritably dressed and remarked “I hate this! I have no clothes! I look fat!”….it was me. It was MY fault. Ashamed of what I subjected him through, I vowed to keep my comments to myself going forward. Out of the mouth of babes was no longer funny. It was hurtful. As I scrolled my Facebook newsfeed this morning, I saw an article I will link in comments that fueled me to take a few minutes out of my busy schedule and give a little PSA to all my friends around here. Love yourself, love your body….and if you don’t….do NOT let your children know how you loathe your body. Love to all my beautiful ladies reading this today……

No comments:

Post a Comment