Monday, January 13, 2014



Coming off a rough weekend, I really needed that twenty minute drive to work. The negativity from the days before had started to consume my every thought and breath. Hubs and I are pessimists by nature, him more so than me, and with the past month of several tough blows we were in full Oscar the Grouch mode by Sunday. I’m just not one of those people who can let things roll easily off my back. I analyze over and over and over again. I was affectionately dubbed a ‘Worry Wart’ when I was 13 and never outgrew the mentality of scrutinizing every mundane decision in a day. So I am not going to fight it any longer. Instead of hearing the constant preaching of therapists, parents and loved ones commanding “You are blowing this out of proportion!” and “Stop worrying about it!”….I will instead take mental notes of a positive moment for each negative moment in my life.
Negative-I received my first paycheck of the year with our medical insurance increase. It now takes 60% of my gross income to provide medical insurance for my family. I now technically make less than the federal minimum wage.
Positive-My daughter now plays Beethoven’s ‘Ode to Joy’ fluently on her clarinet. The sound gives me goosies and I feel a warm rush through my veins as it resonates in our house.
Negative-Someone hit our family car at some point in the last week. The damage is to an area I recently paid out of pocket to fix.
Positive- Watching my oldest son’s face and gestures as he cheered on his basketball team, as well as watching him play….quite well.
Negative-The Birthday Dinner from hell.
Positive- Instead of prying my little guy from my arms with tears at daycare, he walked to the gated opening and paused. He then lifted his face in my direction and ever so faintly puckered his lips for a goodbye kiss. After our morning smooch, he walked over to his teacher with no incident.
A positive for a negative. MY new form of therapy. I’d say call me Dr. Jenn but I am sure there are a whole ton of liabilities in doing that. Call it a two step program….compliments of the founder of Pessimists Anonymous, Moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment