Thursday, September 26, 2013

WWFHD?



Daughter came home from school yesterday troubled. Her very good friend had commented in a rude way that she did not like Daughter’s shirt. My first instinct was to drive over to her friend’s house. I wanted to tell her that her personality sucks and ‘If youse ugly on the inside, youse ugly on the outside’. I shook the idea out of my head and thought…WWFHD? (What would Full House do?) I calmly sat Daughter down at the kitchen table and told her that not only was she beautiful, a great dresser and smart….but a GOOD person. I spoke about how even people who seem to be close friends make cruel, unkind comments to make themselves feel better. I complimented Daughter on her self esteem and told her that her friend more than likely is considerably lacking it. I also coached her on how to make good observations about her friends. If she really liked a friend’s shoes, tell her. If she was proud of a friend’s test score in school, tell her.  I am a firm believer in you get out of this world what you put in to it. Daughter is positive and friendly and I believe she will get a whole lot further in life than some of the ‘mean girls’ that seem to multiply the further she gets in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment