Friday, January 25, 2013

Donut Fridays



I dread Donut Fridays. Each Friday, barring a bad behavior week, I take Boy 1 to the gas station on the way to work and let him pick out a donut and drink. This was an enjoyable event…before I had Baby Boy. Juggling a twenty three pound baby on my left arm and attempting to do all the necessary motions of our Friday ritual with the right hand, has made the once pleasant outing….a real hassle. I’d never let Boy 1 know that. I plaster a giant smile on my face as I begin my circus worthy act. Today he chose a chocolate iced glazed donut with red stripes on top and Sunny D. My mouth watered as I placed the donut in the bag. Its aroma entered my nostrils and intoxicated me. I, unfortunately, opted for a Special K breakfast bar. Once in route to school, he cheerfully kicked his feet and bobbed his head from side to side in rhythm with each chew. So even though my left bicep ached, my heart ached more to think of him grown. Married with children of his own, on his way to his high powered career as an attorney or a well respected doctor…he may follow suit and take his little ones for a special treat before school. It ached because time goes so quickly. In August he will be in Kindergarten and Hubs will take over with shuttling him to school. So, instead of making him put any uneaten donut back in the bag so we can get to school in a timely manner, we sat in the car while he finished the entire donut. Not worrying about getting to work on time, but living in the moment on this Donut Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment