Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Grandpa's 90th...

Mom came over to visit me yesterday while I stayed home with the kids for MLK day. My scale has been out of commission for about a month now. I finally chucked it this week and have been itching to weigh myself so she brought hers over.  I had one of those dial scales and with my less than perfect vision I had a roundabout idea of my weight. That was sobering. She has one of those no-bones-about-it-it-is-what-it-is digital scales. I was pretty down and out about the whole thing. We decided to put in a DVD that was made for my Grandpa's 90th Birthday this weekend. After an hour of viewing and tears welled up in our eyes I thought about what I had seen. My Grandfather from birth-World War II-his career as a firefighter-children-grandchildren-great grand children....and you know what? That number on the scale meant a whole lot less to me. The photos, the moments in time captured....it didn't capture the upticks in weight, the facial blemishes, the 'I don't know how we are going to pay the house payment' days, the 'These damn kids are going to drive me crazy' days....it just captured, life. At it's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment